Sunday, March 27, 2011

Regret....

Yesterday I went to Hobby Lobby in my continued attempt pretending that I know how to decorate my house. As I was standing in the checkout line a teenage girl and her mom got into the line across from me. Since the person in front of me was buying thousands of pieces of foam that had to be scanned individually, I had a lot of time to stand there and pretend that I wasn't eavesdropping on this girl and her mom. Since I missed the 1st half of the conversation all I could gather was that the mom wasn't going to let the daughter go and do something that was totally awesome and the mom was now totally lame and a jerk for not understanding her daughters need for doing said awesome thing and for "ruining her life forever". As the conversation continued the girl got more whiny, more mouthy, more disrespectful and I really did think that her eyes were going to get stuck in the back of her head for all the eye rolling she was doing.
As I stood there for what seemed like hours, I remembered that not that long ago, I was the whiny, mouthy, disrespectful daughter. I was the one with the bad attitude and the over exaggerated eye roll. I wanted to tell this girl that it wasn't worth it. Whatever totally awesome thing she wasn't being allowed to do was not worth it. It was not worth the distance it would put on her relationship with her mom. It was not worth hurting her mom's feelings. It was just not worth it. One day she is going to wake up and realize just how much she needs her mom and hopefully the distance and hurt feelings and pain won't be too much to overcome. I was lucky enough to have such a mom. The mom that forgave the attitude and the garbage and managed to love me anyways. The mom that is now one of my very best friends. I wanted to help the girl realize what I had to learn the hard way. I wanted to tell her what a good thing she has going and that one day she will regret this. I didn't tell her. Foam lady had finally finished and the checker was waiting impatiently for me to move my things forward. So hopefully she will realize it on her own.

3 comments:

Luann said...

Love this thought. I'm afraid that is going to be me and Kaylee some day. I guess I have the courage to stand up to the attitude and know that one day she will forgive me and love me anyway. Great post Sara.

Rulon and Toni said...

I wish I could have few do overs in my life. One of which is the way I treated my parents as a teenager. I got kicked out of the house a couple of times for my insolence.

paul and lacy ebert said...

I just want to say, that you are a very gifted writer/story teller! I did not have too may issues with my mom, but I was always a grump on the way to school. I remember this one morning she said " if you dont slap a smile on that face, I am going to push you out of the car, run you over, back up and run you over again!".....I still think she was serious!!:)she always won the fights, so I never saw the poit to try and win!